Friday, February 27, 2009

My Strange New Mexico

This site hasn't been active for too long and this is already my second post on New Mexico. I've an affinity with the state, which become even more apparent on my visit there.

I stumbled across a website recently, My Strange New Mexico, that I knew after reading the first article is one of those sites you bookmark. The pieces are written by a Mike Smith and he thoroughly does his research in his work. It is more than apparent. He covers everything from desert legends to historical accounts, including one of a hideout Al Capone allegedly used in his heyday. Another interesting article is about Grenville, NM, a town of 25.

Perhaps one of the most enlightening is about of a group called the Aggressive Christianity Missionary Training Corps. "Wearing military-style uniforms, and awarding rank to members of the group based on their dedication, the group considered themselves a spiritual army, preparing the world for an apocalyptic war against the evils of society—against rock and roll, homosexuality, television, psychoanalysis, medication, karate, and more," the article says.

Mr. Smith's account of the group can be read HERE. I highly recommend it!

(The link below apparently need a white background behind it. Click it. Order. Be saved.)

No comments:

Post a Comment